Re: Adjudication correct?

David W. Buckley wrote:

> This is the problem with making contesting the centre of the universe.

"Ere, ere.........it's a game / sport that is judged by an individual. What other
comparable event is judged like this? A game of soccer / rugby etc. - it's up to
the players how well they do. A game of tennis........the person in control is
yourself. How can it be humanly possible to get the right result when someone is
locked up in a box for hours listening to exactly the same thing maybe up to 25
times?

> Obviously adjudicators have to have some idea of how the music should go
> and something to judge against. Why hold this against them?
> In 1994 Horowitz made a major point about the importance of very subtle
> tempo chamnges in the test piece and IMHO, BNFL got savaged in the
> marking because they pretty much ignored the markings. A wonderful and
> exciting performance was not even in the top 6

Thanks David!

> and Blsck Dyke won for a
> much inferior job but faithful tempos.

"Ere, ere...........

> But that's contesting.

Absolutely right. At the end of the day players are competing in a lottery. We
all know this before we start the contest though.

> Brass bands need to forget contests and get on
> with music.

Hey, come on...........surely we don't want to be interested in 'MUSIC' do we?
What on earth next?

> A way too much energy goes into writing music never heard
> again in order to test players.

And into rehearsing it every night for a fortnight!

> Has resulted in great playing standards
> for what are still more or less amateurs but its time to move on.
> Just my opinion.

Maybe just your opinion but it's also mine and has been for years!

Monkey