Re: Adjudication correct?

Ron Grice wrote:

> Well! Well! Well!
> Call out the cavalry,
> Circle the waggons.
>
> Has someone from the antibities dared to call into question remarkes made
> by our northern brothers.
>
> Just a couple of observations, I wonder why two very well respected
> musicians in two different areas came to the same conclusion that the
> grazioso section would be the telling point in deciding the winning bands.

Maybe very true Ron, but I'm sure you would agree that it shouldn't be the sole
point.

> Are you not being a little contradictary in your second paragraph ,last
> sentance i.e." that technical quality was more important than musical
> quality"  in view of both adjudicators remarks re the grazioso section.
>
> I was also ammused to read that every musical composition is supposed to
> tell a story. Without the benefit of either the title or the composers
> notes you would get as many variations on "the musical tale" as you had
> listeners.

IMHO a piece of music depicts a type of atmosphere.........however, individuals
will paint different pictures. In other words, lots of peopls could have many
pictures but they could all be placed in the same category.

> As to you convincing yourself that if you had won the result would still
> have been unfair ,in all my years of banding i've never seen a band return
> the trophy because they didn't agree with the result,in fact not a peep
> would  be heard.

True - but I have to be honest here Ron. I have made it very clear on
particular occasions that we should NOT have won, when we actually did. I have
personally apologised to fellow bandsmen from other bands. Not only when we've
won (seemingly undeservedly) but also when we've been placed highly.

Two particular instances spring to mind. Journey into Freedom - Area 1990ish???

Cambridge 2 or 3 years ago - we were second and didn't deserve that.

> Then we had the conductor of Ucfield Conert Brass playing that particular
> section well below the minimum mark "but for us it worked",it dose'nt sound
> like the adjudicator agreed,and in a contest  its usually his opinion that
> counts.
>
> On a lighter note  how can a Bass Trombone player tell anyone they don't
> know what their talking about, (sorry Monkey).

Hehehehehe.............good job I know you Ron!

Monkey