Re: Adjudication correct?

>This is the problem with making contesting the centre of the universe.
>Obviously adjudicators have to have some idea of how the music should go
>and something to judge against. Why hold this against them?
Maybe we can discuss some of the single decisions of the adjudicators after
some competions, but I think over time the best band will
win......regarding musical rendition AND technical details ! The level in
the top is so high that it isn't enough to have all technical details in
place, you must also make great music !

>But that's contesting. Brass bands need to forget contests and get on
>with music. A way too much energy goes into writing music never heard
>again in order to test players. Has resulted in great playing standards
>for what are still more or less amateurs but its time to move on.
I don't agree ! I love contesting because it brings forward the best music
and the best performances. I really love listening to that music too, eq.
"On Alderley Edge" by Peter Graham". Fantastic music ! I can't get enough
CD of vbrass band contest music ! Concerts are the most important though
for the general public. And the music at concerts should entertain !

BTW I've made a summary over the winners in the European and Norwegian
brass band championships. There is also some staticstics over number of
times each band, conductor and country/county has won the title. You'll
find at Arendal Brass Band's site http://www.geocities,com/Vienna/1356/.
Enjoy !

Elisabeth Morken