Re: Wooden mouthpieces

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

This is a "bit" off the mouthpiece topic, but I think of interest to
those with metal allergies:

> I know a couple of players who have developed allergies to metal
> mouthpieces, causing swelling and sore lips.  One did try a wooden
> mouthpieces but found that after a couple of months it became marked
> on the rim and 'somewhat smelly'.  They now use clear plastic ones
> which are cheaper, longer lasting and possibly more hygenic...
>
> David

This has been used (the plastic mouthpiece idea) by some players I know
(mostly horn players) who have allergies to some kinds of metal, to the
point that they can only play on gold with no reaction. This gets
expensive, to say the least. A solution has been to use plastic RIMS on
the screw off rim type mouthpieces, keeping the metal cup.

I am sure that someone has long since come up with this idea in the UK but
I thought I would make the observation anyway, in case it could help
someone.

Best

Edouard Forner				  Macalester College
Music Department				 St. Paul, Minnesota 55105
forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx      fax 612 696 6785      phone/v-mail 612 696 6189