Re: British Open Triv.

At 09:52 14/03/98 +1300, Andy Williams wrote:

>All the best arguments happen in pubs (or on the BB mailing list!), and as a
>result of my latest effort, could anyone please advise of the last time that
>a "non-British" band competed at the British Open.
>
>We know of the Skellerup Woolston Band (NZ) who competed in 1975 and were
>placed fifth - have there been any others before or since?  We also know of
>the National Band of NZ who won it in 1953, and some Aussie outfit in the
>1920's.

	"Some Aussie Outfit" indeed!!

	This was the famous Newcastle Steelworks Brass Band which toured UK in
1924 and won the British Open. You can read more in Harry Mortimer's Book.
I believe there may have been a few "ring-ins" (top cornet players) from
other bands. The folklore is that this band introduced seats during their
performance. Before then the bands stood during performances (correct ?).
 Correct me if I am wrong, Ron (Grice), but I think there may be a link
between this band and Waratah-Mayfield in Newcastle. Newcastle Steelworks
is in the same area of Newcastle. (I was born in Waratah and grew up in
Mayfield and other areas of Newcastle - my father worked at this works
nearly all his working life). Maybe this explains my obsession with brass
bands and their music.
	One sad historical note. Last year the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, which
owns the Newcastle Steelworks, announced it would be closing down the works
in a few years. Thousands of jobs involved. Shades of "The Full Monty" and
"Brassed-Off".

Phil Anderton

Philip Anderton			Phone: +61 2 9316 8301
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney, Australia

Web: http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/public/other/wcb.htm
Email: P.Anderton@xxxxxxxxxxx