RE: Midlands Area

Just curious Craig but how often do Desford actually practice?
I remember having a conversation with someone from within the Desford
organisation who said that it costs them approximately 5000 pounds to do
a contest, I suspect this was partly because of the distance that
players have to travel. The players are in our area are good enough, I
think that Desford proved this at the height of their success. Why is it
now the case that you seem to need to get players in from here there and
everywhere, what is wrong with the people around here. I think that the
general opinion of just about everyone that I spoke to at the area was
that yes Desford played well and deserved to win but that it wasn't
really the spirit of banding.

Ask yourself the question would Desford have competed if it didn't have
a big sponsorship, I know my band would have.

On another more or less related note, it is really worrying the number
of bands that are going under at the moment in the banding world at the
moment, we need to concentrate on the young people coming into the
banding scene. Basically we need more bands to start junior/youth bands
up. It's no good just leaving it to the local authorities to do it. This
is the future of banding we need to do something about it and soon.

Cheers
Phil