basildon

Nice to put a few faces to names at Basildon this weekend - I had the
dubious pleasure of sitting at the registration desk for the top section
and met various list members albeit somewhat briefly (and before some had=

discovered the local firewater!).
In answer to the question re First City Brass, they came 7th. I can't
comment on whether that position is correct as I only heard the last 2
bands (FCB & Redbridge) - but I will say that having now heard them, ther=
is no doubt in my mind (or indeed anyone elses I spoke to) that they are
indeed a championship section standard band. We've had the moral debate
already as to which section they should be in, Sunday was time to conside=
the musical aspects which inmho have confirmed their correct grading.
In the end, by not coming at the top, they have neither caused a band not=

to go to the finals nor will they have caused a band to be demoted - the
bottom 2 would have been the bottom 2 with or without FCB in the section.=

Finally, whilst I "retired" from the regional committee after sunday nigh=
t,
I'll gladly take any feedback (preferably constructive!) and pass onto th=
new rep, David Loftus who has yet to come into 20th centuty and get himse=
lf
connected!

Andy Wooler
Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, MD "The Classic Dance Band",
Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra" +44 (0)1273 882569
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler