Registration

I mentioned in another posting that I spent time on registration at
Basildon.
I've always been a big critic of the supposed need to register players (s=
ee
earlier postings) and have to say that this weekend has done nothing to
alter my views.

It is so disappointing to have to point out to players that the dates on
their cards or the absence of their names on a signature sheet can lead t=
their band having to decide playing without them or risking
disqualification the following day (once checks have been made with the
registry).

At the risk of repeating myself, the time has come for a radical re-think=

of this whole crazy system. btw, no sour grapes, my own band were not
involved!

I once commented at my local association that it was easier to get into
Bosnia than it was to get onto a contest platform! A few points that are
obvious to me at least:

1) Cards not stamped with this years registry stamp.

- you get a passport that last for 10 years before being renewed, you don=
't
have to change your photo every time you shave off your beard or have a
nose job and how many countries check your signature as well?

2) Effective dates for new registration, dates for transfers etc
- for goodness sake, will someone somewhere decide that if we must have a=

card (which I don't believe we do but accept that some of you think
differently), then put one date on it - if that date is on or before the
contest, they play, if it's after they don't!

3) Missing signature or name on form
- you've got 35 players registered, you're allowed to play 25 + percussio=
- check that those who turn up are registered with that band and the date=

is ok, count them on stage and it's sorted! Who needs a registration form=
?

On this one I can confirm that SCABA operate without a contest signature
form either before the day or on the day itself. It works.

I felt for the players and bands concerned but we have to work within the=

rules as they currently stand. However, the rules and the whole process a=
re
not consistent with what we are actually trying to determine ie; which ba=
nd
has won the contest.

If there are any members of the BFBB management committee, the NCC or
Boosey & Hawkes staff involved in the National Contest/ National registry=

reading this, please get yourselves together and sort it out!

Andy Wooler
Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, MD "The Classic Dance Band",
Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra" +44 (0)1273 882569
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler

ps: if you agree with my views and know any of the people who can change
this, please feel free to pass on copies of any postings from me on this
subject.