London Areas

Full results from Basildon (courtesy of BBW):

1. Aveley and Newham (M. White, 191)
2. City of Oxford (N. Taken, 189)
3. Redbridge Brass (G. Wilson, 187)
4. Clacton-on-Sea Co-op (M. Ager, 185)
5. K.M. Gillingham (P. Murell, 184)
6. Morrells Concert Brass (Kidlington) (C. Greenwood, 183)
7. First City Brass (B. Grant, 182)
8. Matthews Norfolk Brass (M. Leason, 181)
9. Friary Guildford (180)
10. Hatfields of Colchester (R. Howard, 179)

Hendon and Staines withdrew.

Needless to say, City of Oxford are delighted to have come second in the
area. Before the contest, we knew we could do well. We didn't play as
well as we could have done on stage, but we were quite pleased to come
second. Given that we were a first section band last year, this is a very
good result for us. (I think we have given the best performance of any
newly promoted band in the country so far: Glossop Old managed fourth
place in their area).

As you can see, we finished 2 points ahead of last year's Champions,
Redbridge Brass. Roll on the Royal Albert Hall!! I understand that the
British Bandsman may be interested in doing an article on the City of
Oxford Band in the run-up to the Finals, given that this is the first
time the band has qualified to compete in London.

We are aware that it is traditional for the L+SC bands to come last and
2nd-last at the National Finals (!!!), but we firmly believe that we may
well surprise a few bands later this year. Look out Faireys, here we
come!!!!!

Regards,

Cameron

--