City of Oxford Travesty

Dear list-members

This is a long post. I would be grateful if you would read it all and reply
with your thoughts. In writing this post, I think I can speak on behalf
of all of the members of the City of Oxford Band (Alastair is currently
on holiday and therefore does not have access to an email account),
although I have not been asked by them to write it.

Somewhat ironically, given the jubilant demeanour of my recent posts and
the nature of the contributions from Andy Wooler regarding registration, the
City of Oxford band has been provisionally disqualified from Sunday's
Regional Championships in Basildon, pending an appeal to the regional
committee and, if necessary, the NCC.

The reason for the disqualification was that the band's principal
percussionist's name did not appear on the contest signature form. This
was simply an oversight on the part of our contest secretary (who,
incidentally, won the best cornet award on Sunday). When she drew up the
list, our percussionist's card was at the registry being re-done (after
having been lost by the authorities at the Leamington Spa contest in
December). Consequently, our contest secretary ommitted his name from the
list by mistake.

The player in question has been the principal percussionist with the band
for five years, and has not missed a contest in that time. His membership
of the band extends further back than most in the band. This was not a
case of cheating or abusing the system. It was a simple and honest
clerical error. If our disqualification is upheld, we will lose our place
at the Royal Albert Hall because of the smallest, most trivial of errors.

I accept that laws are there to be adhered to. The members of Rhos Silver
Band, whose second section national title was taken last year, know all
too well that fielding unsigned players is a costly mistake (whether
deliberate or not). However, the error in the case of the City of Oxford
is insignificant compared to that of using unsigned players. Though we
may have inadvertedly broken a (rather pointless) rule when our
percussionist played on Sunday, I fervently hope
that the regional committee abide by the spirit of the law rather than
the letter of the law when they consider our appeal. It is a spirit
exemplified by the City of Oxford Band. How many other bands could boast
full attendance at all practices up to six weeks before a contest?

It goes without saying that I cannot provide an unbiased opinion, as I
am a member of the affected band, but it seems totally unfair that such a
small mistake should cost us our life's ambition.

It would be a travesty if we
were to be disqualified, especially as James Scott (the adjudicator on
Sunday) said that the top two bands were well clear of the field. In
short, we thoroughly deserve our place at the RAH.

As I understand it, an appeal has been lodged with the regional
committee. Unfortunately, two members of that body are members of the
Morrells (Kidlington) band. This band is the traditional rival of the
City of Oxford, and may take a delight in seeing us disqualified. (A few
members of that band even said so at the contest on Sunday). We at City
of Oxford have no quarrel with the Morrells band (aside from a healthy
local rivalry) and it would be extremely mean spirited of the Kidlington
committee members to vote to uphold the disqualification out of spite. In
addition, I am led to believe that at least one member of the committee
is from Redbridge Brass, who came third in the competition and would
therefore be given a place at the Royal Albert Hall if the decision is
upheld. Surely, a committee (at least partially) composed of people with
vested interests such as these cannot consider our appeal impartially?

If the appeal is unsuccessful at regional level, we will lodge an appeal
with the National Contesting Council. I am confident that we should win,
given the paltry reason behind our disqualification.

In conclusion, I should like to say that words cannot adequately express
how frustrated the rest of the band and I are. To qualify for the Royal
Albert Hall has been our long-term ambition for years, and it now appears
that our efforts may be rewarded with a slap in the face from band
beaurocracy. I think our appeal is a strong one, given the player's long
record with the band, the nature of our performance (earning two points
more than Redbridge Brass, last years Champions), the fact that we may be
demoted if we are disqualified (see below!), and the fact that the mistake
made was an insignificant and honest one.

I would be grateful for your opinions on this matter. Thank you for taking
the time to read this long message.

Respectfully,

A very sober and frustrated,

Cameron Mabon
2nd cornet, City of Oxford Band

P.S. There is a danger that, if we are disqualified permanently, the band
will be demoted to the first section (because of some 'unusual' contest
results last year)!! This would result in the bizarre
situation of the other first section bands competing against arguably
the best Championship Section Band in the region (as we will be if we
continue to improve at the rate at which we have done so for the last few
years)!!! The first section
areas would be a farce, and all because one trivial rule was broken
inadvertedly.

--
  Cameron Mabon				 cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Piano, cornet and duck-call