Re: Baritone books

On 15 Mar, Phil Burton <burtonp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good Baritone (4 valve) book?

> I recently borrowed a 4 valve Mirafone B-flat Baritone, and would like
> to learn how to utilize the 4th valve.  Right now all I can figure out
> is it gives me range from b-flat to pedal b-flat,  I would like to learn
> all the other advandages of the "F" valve, such as alternative
> fingerings, etc...

You don't need a book Phil. The 4th valve is merely a substitute for the
sharp sounding 1st and 3rd combination, so you use this to play low F and
C (treble clef G and D), or use the 4th and 2nd together to play low E and
B (treble clef F# and C#).

If it is a non compensating system, that is all you can do, unless it is
possible to pull out the tuning slides while playing.

If it is a compensating horn then you can play fully chromatically down to
pedal Bb (treble clef C) and beyond.

Starting from C on 2nd space (bass clef) or D just below the stave (treble
clef transposition).

C  (D)  = 4
B  (C#) = 2+4

Bb (C) thru Gb (Ab) normal fingering.

F  (G)  = 4
E  (F#) = 2+4
Eb (F)  = 1+4
D  (E)  = 1+2+4 (or 3+4)
Db (Eb) = 2+3+4
C  (D)  = 1+3+4   (still sharp)
B  (C#) = 1+2+3+4 (even more sharp)
Bb (C)  = 0       (1st pedal note)
etc., downwards to peadal B natural (C#)

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/