Abbie Conant

First:  I'm prejudiced. I helped organize Abbie's concert in Toronto but
I will do my best to be unbiased.

I don't know how high Abbie can play, or how low or how fast and I did
not get answers to these oh so common questions at the Royal
Conservatory on Monday. But I did hear notes of the utmost purity and
beauty in all the normal ranges of the horn (that of course is the range
which I can play) and at every volume marking from the quietist ppp to
the greatest fff you will hear from any trombone player I have heard.

And I also heard stunning artistry both on the horn and vocally as well
as highly dramatic tension as Abbie played "Street Scene for the Last
Mad Soprano" a theatrical presentation, and "Music for the End of Time",
an apocalyptic work for trombone. Both selections were accompanied by
Quad tape and were composed, written and directed by William Osborne,
Abbie's husband.

This particular program is being repeated on Saturday at the ETW and I
highly commend it to all who will be there. It may not prove to be to
your liking but it definitely not your run-of-the mill recital fare as
Abbie and Bill work towards finding new and fresh voices for the horn. I
will go to hear the program again and I also look forward to hearing
Abbie with Julie Josephson and Dave Taylor. I would happily listen to
Abbie anytime, anywhere. She must rank in the absolute front rank in the
world.

By the way, thanks to all who came to the Toronto program including just
about all the top players in TO. We had a great audience which I as the
organizer appreciated as did Abbie and Bill as performers.

Abbie also did a masterclass at the U of T this morning and her helpful
comments will long be remembered by the lucky 4 students who played and
the rest of us who listened raptly.

If you are fortunate enough to be at the ETW or at any of the rest of
Abbie's tour sites, do yourself a favour and run to hear whatever it is
she is doing.

There didn't I say I would be unbiased?

Must stop to practice. I carried Abbie's 88H this morning and we'll see
if anything rubbed off. (Or maybe I need to buy the Christian Lindberg
mouthpiece she used.)

Dave.