Re: Baritone books

I can probably add a a whole lot more to this if you like but for the sake
of all others perhaps you can contact me privately.

I play a Sovereign 4 valve Bari and there is plenty of use you can get from
the "F" valve other than adding an extra couple of octaves and sorting out
the tuning which it obviously takes care of. I use the valve throughout the
register depending on the tonal mood of the piece fingering, tuning.

A couple of quick examples but we can discuss more off line.

Using the 4th on say G above the stave when blowing fairly hard can take
off that edge that a Bari can get. Of course we don't always want this when
playing say with the Troms but there are other times when you want a less
bright sound.

Lip trills, also I find to be more controllable (though I am not very good
at them) with the 4th valve.

Alternate fingering is definately a bid advantage that can be used
effectively throut the mid and low register, I 'll try and give an example
but although I am talking about a particular key it works in different ways
in many others to eradicate tricky fingering and give smoother runs etc.

Think  DMaj over two (lower octaves) The lower octave is rather nasty but
if you leave the fourth in all the way through the lower octave and use the
same fingering as you would use for the lower Gmaj scale on a three valve
instrument and then switch to the standard fingiring (starting on fourth as
it is already in) for the DMaj scale when you reach the second octave you
will notice how smooth and easy it is to do the lower octave.

I can go on if any ones interested but as you can see this can be used to
help you in many different keys and the best way is probably just to
experiment it has definately made some tricky fingerings in the C - F
region a lot easier to play smoothly.

I hope I haven't bored everyone too much.

Steve Harlow
St Marys Brass.

saxhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 03/17/98 06:58:17 AM

Please respond to brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx