Re: Homage to M.R.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Strykowski <strykow@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 March 1998 12:35
Subject: Homage to M.R.

>Q to the List,
>
>Who is honoured in Sparkes Harmony Music at the section "Homage to M.R." ?
>
>Methinks it may be Maurice Ravel... anyone got any proof or ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark
>

>--

You're absolutely right - it is Ravel.  Listen out for his 'Pavane for a
Dead Infanta' in the slow middle section.  I had the dubious privilege of
taking part in the official premiere of Harmony Music when Hanwell Band got
drawn number one at the National Finals in 1987!  I couldn't play the first
baritone part then, and little has changed!

Best wishes

Alec Gallagher