Advice on UK Trip

Hi all:

I'd like a bit of advice which members of this list are very well-qualified
to give!

I am coming over to read an academic paper at Cambridge next week (27 and
28 March). Being a long-time brass player and a recent conscript into the
British style of brass banding (I am a BBb player for the newly-formed
Prairie Brass Band in Chicago), I naturally thought I'd check in *BBW* to
see if anything was on while I was over which would be within a relatively
easy drive.

Here's my question (actually the first of two): Would someone on the list,
either from Black Dyke or someone who knows some info, tell me a little
about the Black Dyke concert in Bournemouth on Saturday night? I'm assuming
that it's going to be a full-evening's excellent entertainment, but "gala"
sort of makes me wary. I've played in enough venues to know that that's a
long drive to hear BD open and close the concert and have all sorts of
other stuff in between--and the band would be all I would drive for, right!
**However**, if it's a concert of all levels of bands and guest brass, that
would be brilliant as well. [Here's hoping I can still call over for
tickets...]

Question #2: Would someone on the list from CWS Glasgow who would be
willing to vouch for me to come and watch their Monday rehearsal (30/3) be
kind enough to post back privately? A little history: I am an
ethnomusicologist whose main fieldwork (and family origins) are in Central
Scotland. I've worked with the Shotts and Dykehead Pipe Band for the last 3
years, and will head up to Shotts to visit with the band on Sunday
afternoon, vacationing in Scotland with my relatives till Thursday. Since I
am interested in all sorts of contesting music (pipes and brass, playing
and doing research), I'd be most grateful for the chance to watch a CWS
rehearsal.

Please post back privately, to avoid cluttering the list...

All the best,

Jerry Cadden
University of Chicago