Re: Homage to M.R.

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Alec Gallagher wrote:

> >Who is honoured in Sparkes Harmony Music at the section "Homage to M.R." ?
> >
> >Methinks it may be Maurice Ravel... anyone got any proof or ideas?
> >listserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> You're absolutely right - it is Ravel.  Listen out for his 'Pavane for a
> Dead Infanta' in the slow middle section.

I think this is a mis-translation from the original French. The real
title is "Pavane pour un enfante defunte" (sp.?) and it is translated as
"Pavane for a Child Princess". If Alastair were on line, I'm sure he
could tell you more - we played the piece with our brass quintet,
Fundamental Brass, a few months ago.

Regards,

Cameron

--