City of Oxford

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:48:32 +0000 (GMT)
Cameron Mabon wrote -

>On 18 Mar 1998, Paul Williams wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry if by being disqualified from the competition will put you back
>> in the 1st section - but it does not sound like you are a constant
>> Championship section band.
>
>Well, we were of a sufficiently high standard to beat First City Brass,
>Friary Guildford, Clacton, Morrells, Gillingham etc. on Sunday, not to
>mention last
>year's champions, Redbridge (by two points). Based on the adjudicator's
>comments that two bands in particular stood out on the day, our position
>in the Championship section is not in doubt. It can't be argued that
>Sunday was a "fluke" result, as we thought we played badly on stage. Who
>knows what would have happened if we'd played (particularly the third
>movement) properly.
>
>Cameron

In my defence I did not say that the band was not of sufficiently high
standard I said that it
does not sound like you are a constant Championship section band as shown
by you posting on
Tue, 17 Mar 1998  when you placed your original statement -

>P.S. There is a danger that, if we are disqualified permanently, the band
>will be demoted to the first section (because of some 'unusual' contest
>results last year)!! This would result in the bizarre
>situation of the other first section bands competing against arguably
>the best Championship Section Band in the region (as we will be if we
>continue to improve at the rate at which we have done so for the last few
>years)!!! The first section
>areas would be a farce, and all because one trivial rule was broken
>inadvertedly.

Best of luck with you appeal - Hope you get the result YOU want.

Paul Williams
(A Welshman living in England)