Re: Besson Horns

In the U.S. there is a brand of soap called LAVA soap.  It has a fine
pumous in it that helps mechanics and machinists get all of the oil and
grease off their hands.  Get a hand full of lather from this soap and rub
it all over the valve.  Then take the valve and work it in the casing.
This will help loosen the valve and clean out any dirt.  Besson valves are
so tight(at least in the 900 series horns) and the pumous is so small in
LAVA soap that you won't need to worry about creating air leaks around the
valve.  If you don't have LAVA soap on your side of the pond, find an
American who knows what I'm talking about and him for a comporable
substitute.

Karl Schultz
Euphonium, U.S. Naval Academy Band
Former Euphoniumist Dominion Brass Band