Re: Soprano Cornet Mouthpeice Selection

Graham Young (905) 575-8440
Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
gyoung@xxxxxxxx

This is a problem that is exasperated by the nature of what a
soprano cornet is asked to play in a brass band.
For some pieces the music is practically a piccolo trumpet part
(Procession to the Minster) where the tessitura is extremely
high and taxing. If you use a shallow cuped mouthpiece
(Bach7E/117) for example the high register is less of a problem
but tone quality can be a bit bright. Use a deeper v cup like the Wicks
and tone will be good but the top end is harder.
The best sop mouthpiece I've used is a Monette B6.
A nice comprimise is a Bach 7D.
Actually I've never found one mouthpiece that is good for
everything.

This can be also a problem of which instrument you are
using. For the past few years I,ve been playing on the band's
Yamaha. Overall a good soprano and miles better than the beastly
old Sovereign I first had but overall a bit bright. I think the problem
with it is too large
a bore. .460 is probably too much. I just took posession of a Kanstul
(.453)
This instrument is much more secure up to top D and with a much richer
tone.
Intonation is very good. Dynamics are better as well.
On the Old style Sovereign (the one with the tuning slide
in the first part of the bell) I could not  play above a G at all
with any reliability.If you have that type soprano cornet you should
accidentally
back over it with your car.

I would be interested to hear the results of your question.

> From: Hawkes Steven <hawkes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Soprano Cornet Mouthpeice Selection
> Date: April 4, 1998 3:30 AM
>
> I am writing to the forum in the hope of obtaining some advice on
mouthpiece selection for Soprano players.