Re: Soprano Cornet Mouthpeice Selection

David Cooper wrote:

> Make sure you use air to
> support the sound, don't do it everyday and don't use force to produce
> the notes, and eventually you will see your range improve.

What's wrong with using force?  I've used the total pressure method now for
22 years and I've done ok (well, most of the time) !!!!  Also, have you
ever seen Alan Wycherley or Kevin Crockford play, they rap their legs
around the chair, screw it on, and do go red from time to time.  Pete
Roberts however plays with no visible effect whatsoever of how much work
goes into it, god knows how he does it.  I just wish I could do half of
what he can do.  In my book he is unique.

The key seems to be to work very hard at it, it will never be easy.  It
takes a lot of physical effort, much more than playing high on a Bb cornet.
 It is painful at times, I can vouch (spelling?) for that, many a time I
have had to stop playing during a piece for fear of passing out or busting
a blood vessel, it comes with the territory.  As they say, no pain no gain
!!

Yours helpfully (hopefully),
Martin Irwin.

ps. forgive the tone of my email, I'm in a hotel room in Slough at the
moment, having come out of the hotel bar after having a few sherbets !