Re: Soprano Cornet Mouthpeice Selection

Graham Young wrote:

> > There are those who complain that some soprano players play too loudly.

Nearly right.  Most of the complaints are that some soprano players
play, full stop.

And in point of fact the soprano cornet isn't louder than
the Bb cornet : it just stands out from the other cornets because
it's usually so far out of tune.

He also wrote :

> > In reality the soprano cornet player is the natural leader of the brass
> > band and not the principal cornet as some may suppose.

What sad self-deception.  Of all the instruments in a brass band, the
soprano cornet is the most dispensible (any competent cornet player
can cover the part on a Bb, if appropriate efforts are made to
distort the tone)

And Martin Irwin wrote :

> You ask Kevin Crockford why he plays so loud and his response will be
> 'because I can' !!

And ask a soprano cornet why he doesn't play quietly, musically or in tune,
and the truthful response would be "because I can't".

The Eb cornet.  An instrument never found in any musical group
outside the brass band.

I wonder why.  (Even the Eb clarinet isn't _that_ unsuccessful!)

Ian McKechnie
<mckechnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>