Re: Soprano Cornet Mouthpeice Selection -Reply

>>> "Martin Irwin" <mirwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/08/98 01:27am >>>
>>You ask Kevin Crockford why he plays so loud and his response will be
'because I can' !!

... or because he's crazy and does not know better.
I thought soprano playing was (just like every other instrument) about being in
balance with the rest of the band, or sometimes being just a little above the
band.
This way of playing is well understood by people like Alan Whycherley. You'll
never hear Alan destryoing everything as Kevin does more and more the last
couple of years. Listen to Kevin's way of playing in e.g. On Alderley Edge
(Peter Graham's CD) or some other 100 performances.
CRAZY!

I am sure other topband sops like you Martin, or Craig, or Pete, and all the
rest preferAlan in stead of Kevin, which was indeed the result of the hitlist
some months ago.

I still remember the test-piece 'Red Earth' at the 1995 Euro in Luxemburg. The
sop had a solo duet with the Eb Bass: some bottom notes and the whole playing in
say MP. Kevin came nowhere, but he must have been proud indeed to play the
loudest and oh yes, as usual ofcourse the looongest endnote (while the band had
already finished almost a second).

Kevin is ofcourse a fine player, else he wouldn't be there, and I have heard him
doing also fine things,  but why he is always out of balance?
To me he's just a bad example of how it should be.

Listen to e.g. Alan Whycherley's performance on Derek Bourgeois 'DIversions'
some 10 or 15 years ago when he was still with Fairey. If that is not clear,
well ...

Edy Van Asch