Alternative instrument for horn player

Hello all,

My daughter has been playing the French Horn in a school band for several
years, but does not have her own instrument.

She will be leaving school shortly and it will be rather sad if she just
lets her music drop. Can anybody give me advice on alternative, and more
affordable, instruments that a horn player might easily adapt to.

For example would a cornet be suitable, and how difficult or easy would the
transition be ?

Thanks
Robert