Re: fun and games in Australia

Thanks for the info Phil....

Philip Anderton wrote:

>			 Report on Australian Nationals
>
>	 Goff Richards gave the A-grade Championship to Kew band (Melbourne,
> Victoria), displacing 2 A-grade New Zealand bands. It is good to have the
> "Fireman's helmet" return to Australia (The A-grade trophy is a mounted,
> silver-plated fireman's helmet, I guess in honour of the Melbourne Fire
> Brigade Band which, I am told, dominated the Nationals years ago).

Who conducts Kew these days? Tom looks after the juniors I think now doesn't he?

>	 His comments were that the top three bands could easily compete at
> Championship level in the UK, however the lower end of A-grade reminded him
> of UK 1st and even 2nd division performances.

A wide range then eh? Do you know how Excelsior did - I believe Russell Gray was
playing for them............how did they manage that if Hawthorn had all these
problems with Sheona?

How did Russell do in the Gala concert?

>	 About 400 people were kept waiting for about 50 minutes around midnight on
> Saturday night as a decision was made about a protest from 7 of the 14
> competing bands regarding, amongst other issues, the eligibility of the
> registration of one player from Hawthorn band. The protest was upheld and
> that band was disqualified. I do not know the full details. I hope Chris
> Earl will provide full details for those interested on his "Australia's
> Band World" home page.

hope so........

>	 If you want to experience something of the prevailing atmosphere, rent a
> copy of the good Australian film "Strictly Ballroom", and settle down to
> watch it with a few beers. It's a good movie about people who lose the
> artistic plot and become obsessed with petty detail and winning in amateur
> artistic competitions. Really, you will find many of the characters you
> know from Band Competitions in this movie.
>
>	  Fortunately the music was generally excellent, and offset the somewhat
> negative vibes otherwise prevailing. Goff Richards was a pleasure to play
> for and listen to, a real gentleman.

Good bloke eh?

> We now have a recording of our
> performance, with his very positive and useful comments over-recorded.
>
>	 It was a disappointing year for Warringah: 8th in the Test (185) and last
> (179, ouch!) in the O/C. We were placed 11th I think.

Oh dear - all those good reports you gave me Phil..........what happened?

>	 Ensembles and sols were yesterday (Easter Monday). Our first quartet
> (tuba, "Spritual Hazz Suite, Lennie Niehouse - Phil Anderton - BBb bass,
> Steve Packer - EEb bass, Steve Pell-eupho, John Saunders - eupho) was
> placed 4th in 8, and our quintet ("Morning Noon and Night Overture, arr
> S.Packer - Steve Packer - bass, John Saunders - eupho, Michelle Breglec -
> Eb tenor horn, Christina Saunders - flugel, Joanne Woosey - cornet ) was
> placed first - the only other competitor was a quintet from Kew, the band
> which won the championship! So we must be doing something right!!

Good on ya's

>		 The other disappointment is that the famous pub meeting never
> eventuated,
> but most of the internet banders did manage to catch up with each other.

After all that promise - who can we blame for that then?

Well done again Phil on your 'report'

Monkey