RE: alternative instrument for a horn player

Robert,
In many bands in North America and other parts of the world, a french
horn is considered an acceptable substitute for the Eb Tenor Horn. I'd
be very surprised to find this in the UK (I'm guessing you're UK based
from your email). I've played in both UK and Canada.

Problems with transfering to the Eb tenor horn are the fingerings are
different and the mouthpiece is different. The mouthpiece for a tenor
horn is cup shaped, whilst the french horn is conical. You can get
adaptors so that you can play a tenor horn with a french horn
mouthpiece, but they alter the tone a bit, it's better to make the
change once and for all.

The range of the tenor horn is the closest to the french horn. Other
alternatives will involve quite a bit of changing the embouchure.

Most bands in the UK will supply you (or rather your daughter!) with an
instrument, so it's a relatively cheap alternative to buying a french
horn.

Hope this helps,
Nick.