Re: protest

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Lashmar <cornet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 April 1998 07:51
Subject: Re: protest

>Might I add that a member of Hawthorne punched in a glass door after the
>disqualification and that 2 members of Kew and Hawthorne had a bit of biffo
>before they went on stage...........now...that's not in the spirit of
>banding.......wake up to yourselves guys.......

On the contrary, it strikes me that this is perfectly in the spirit of
banding.  Banding is, sadly, largely about contesting.  Contesting reduces
the musical art to a mere sport, and if you use music as the blunt
instrument with which to bludgeon your opponents into defeat, it is hardly
surprising that the more visceral emotions rise to the surface.  Anyway,
this sort of behaviour is hardly new - in the old days, adjudicators had to
be escorted from the box for their own safety!

Best wishes