Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

On 16 Apr, "Reilly, Nick" <nick.reilly@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In many bands in North America and other parts of the world, a french
> horn is considered an acceptable substitute for the Eb Tenor Horn.

Acceptable? The only advantage the tenor horn has over the french horn is
agility and I think there are more than enough cornets and euphos in the
British brass band to take care of that department. For the risk of
getting flamed, I seriously think it's time that British bands went over
to using french horns instead of tenors and baritones. Just think of the
added colour and excitement that would create. And while I'm in my
asbestos suit, why not dump 5 of the Bb cornets in favour of 4 trumpets
and an extra flugelhorn. Then, why not employ a 4th player to complete the
trombone team?

The scores I write now for brass band have parts for horns in F as well as
Eb and Bb, and bass as well as treble clef parts for trombones, euphs and
tubas. I hope I'm not looking too far into the future.

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/