Re: French Horn in UK bands

>Nick wrote:,
>In many bands in North America and other parts of the world, a french
>horn is considered an acceptable substitute for the Eb Tenor Horn. I'd
>be very surprised to find this in the UK (I'm guessing you're UK based
>from your email). I've played in both UK and Canada.

Actually, I play in a brass band in Bromley, Kent, UK and I'm a French
Horn player.  It's a Youth Music Centre and no-one in the borough is
taught the Eb tenor horn, so since French Horn players can easily
transpose from F into Eb, we play the horn parts.  I don't see why this
should be too much of a problem, or why French Horn players shouldn't
cover horn parts.

greetings,

Louise				\\\\ ////	   moorc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
			  ( o  o )
PLEASE check out my horn web site, "Libby and Louise's Mad
World of Horns", at http://www.btinternet.com/~l.a.jackson
We think you'll like it! (thanks in advance)
"God made some horn-players; others are not so fortunate."

			-- Anton Horner