Re: protest

> You misunderstand me.  When I used the word 'reduce', I was referring to the
> misuse of music as a tool with which to win contests, instead of its true
> purpose, which is to impart aesthetic pleasure to the listener (and, indeed,
> to the performer).  I wasn't suggesting that contests have a detrimental
> effect on performance standards - on the contrary, we all know that,
> generally speaking, the opposite is the case.  Having said that, the
> implication that the only way that we cloth-capped bandsmen can be inspired
> to higher levels of performance is by dangling a tin trophy in front of us,
> I find intensely patronising.  Surely I can't be the only person to think
> this?

What about......touring to another State (or Country), spending time with your
fellow band members, meeting and reaquainting with people from other bands,
checking out the latest instruments and CDs in the trade displays.........While
uor standards may be affected by motivation to win a contest....It is not the
only reason to want to attend band contests.

> And...if you want to use the word sport..then....no
> >matter what people think.....violence is BAD SPORTSMANSHIP and should be
> >discouraged in banding as it is in sport....not just merely accepted....
>
> I agree absolutely - but I was merely making the observation that antagonism
> towards your opponents is inevitable in any sporting activity, into which
> category banding falls, no matter how much we would like to see it
> eradicated.  That's human nature, I suppose!

People only make you angry if you let them........Sportspeople (or their teams)
get heavy fines for displays of violence as it shows a weakness of character and
it brings down the sport in the public's eyes.......I think the offending
parties (or their bands) should get fined by their State body as an example to
others that violence will not be tollerated!!!!!!!

> Best wishes
>
> Alec

Tony