Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

> And while I'm in my
> > asbestos suit, why not dump 5 of the Bb cornets in favour of 4 trumpets
> > and an extra flugelhorn.

Do we really have to answer this question????????

> Most well trained cornet players now can play without the excessive vib
> which has been a hallmark of the British cornet player

Excessive.......I wish I could produce a vibrato like a British cornet
player......

> and can produce
> trumpet like sounds when required so this does not seem necessary.

The REAL difficulty is NOT making a cornet sound like a trumpet......but like a
CORNET!!!!! (--:(They are very different instruments despite what many North
Americans may say!!!)

> However I was at a brass band concert recently where the soprano used a
> trumpet. He blended well, had the right characteristic sound and was
> much more comfortable on the trumpet than many sops are.

That's ok....Sop is in it's own world anyway!!!!!

> Most cornets
> can also double on flugal so if you want more flugal you can get it.

If you want....but Flugel is a HORN, not a cornet and definately not a trumpet
and should be approached as a Horn or it sounds terrible!!!!!!If you want to hear
more than one flugel in a Brass band work......check out 'Dances and Arias' by
Gregson.......TWO flugels are required for that work!!!!

> Then, why not employ a 4th player to complete the

> > trombone team?

Many bands do!!!!!! (Just like a symphony orchestra would emplay a bumper 5th
horn to strengthen a tiring first horn)

> This makes sense from a musical standpoint plus the principal would not
> have to blow so hard. However the players would have to be sensitive to
> the changed balance requirements.

> > The scores I write now for brass band have parts for horns in F as well as
> > Eb and Bb, and bass as well as treble clef parts for trombones, euphs and
> > tubas. I hope I'm not looking too far into the future.
>
> Are you really suggesting that the brass band movement could change??

Ummmm....you are!!!!!!!!!

> Dave Buckley.

Tony Lashmar
cornet@xxxxxxxxxxx