Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

Tim Morgan wrote:

> In message <4837e5e78asaxhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Adrian Drover
> <saxhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >Acceptable? The only advantage the tenor horn has over the french horn is
> >agility and I think there are more than enough cornets and euphos in the
> >British brass band to take care of that department. For the risk of
> >getting flamed, I seriously think it's time that British bands went over
> >to using french horns instead of tenors and baritones. Just think of the
> >added colour and excitement that would create. And while I'm in my
> >asbestos suit, why not dump 5 of the Bb cornets in favour of 4 trumpets
> >and an extra flugelhorn. Then, why not employ a 4th player to complete the
> >trombone team?
>
> Because all the brass band music written over the last 100 years would
> be rendered completely obsolete.  There is simply no need for change.
> Brass band music is still coming thick and fast (Jazz, On Alderley Edge,
> Whitsun Wakes), contests are still being well attended, and bands are
> still just about in the public eye (Brassed Off, Acid Brass, etc.)
>
> Set up the ensemble you talk about if you want...just don't call it a
> brass band.  That is of course if you can find amateur trumpet and
> french horn players who are a) good enough to cope with the demands of a
> top level test piece and b) happy to travel to band twice a week and
> then to all the contests and concerts as well.  All the horns and
> trumpets I know are either useless amateurs or professionals who
> wouldn't get out of bed for less than a tenner :)
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
> http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/sov/sov.htm
>
> --
Couldn't agree more! I do love a French Horn, and when it is played
properly in a Symphony situation, certainly adds the needed colour that
it was intended to produce.
Just yesterday I heard on our famous National Radio, CBC Radio 2 the
announcer refer to a march being played by a brass band, and really all
you could hear were the clarinets, flutes and piccolos playing out of
tune.  Brass, I think not.
On the matter of Bass Guitar, as you probably know Bill Gordon is now in
these parts of the woods and he seems to write quite a bit of music for
Brass Band with B G back-up. He had his Pasadena Salvation Army band up
here about a year ago. (Bill now plays with Cariboo Temple Salvation
Army Band!) I certainly had and still do have a difficult time trying to
relate and listen to this sound. In my mind an organ would do more
justice, but then that is another topic!
Unless you have a B G player who is a brass player him/herself, and is
sympathetic to the sound of Brass Band, how can they be expected to play
staccato notes, legato, and all the other types of sounds that are
particularly special to brass.
Keep things the way they are. Maybe an additional trom, and another horn
might help, but we are unique and we should stay that way. Of course
Salvation Army bands are different as they want to try and accomodate
those who want to play for the Glory of God! I understand as a for
instance that if everybody turns out Cariboo Temple would have in excess
of 50 players. Soon the preachers will be off the platform!!
We do not need amplification, we don't need tools, or tricks, just good
solid full sounding players and proper instrumentation. I am a lover of
Black Dyke however I am sorry that James Watson chose to play Share My
Yoke on a trumpet. A trumpet does not do justification for this very
moving and emotional piece. It was written as a cornet solo. Listen to
David Daws play it, as it should be.
Those are my $.02 ( 1/2 in U S Dollars!) worth.

Larry White
Vancouver, B.C
--
# Netscape folder cache