Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

On 19 Apr, Tony Lashmar <cornet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > And while I'm in my asbestos suit, why not dump 5 of the Bb cornets
> > > in favour of 4 trumpets and an extra flugelhorn.

> Do we really have to answer this question????????

> > However I was at a brass band concert recently where the soprano used a
> > trumpet. He blended well, had the right characteristic sound and was
> > much more comfortable on the trumpet than many sops are.

> That's ok....Sop is in it's own world anyway!!!!!

Hmm. So you are dead against swapping a few of the multitude of Bb cornets
for trumpets, but you don't mind losing the one and only soprano cornet? I
would have thought that the soprano was invaluable for the purpose of
helping out the Bbs on the high notes and doubling their line in the
octave above. I don't think this is a job for the trumpet. In my vision of
the band, the cornets would still reign supreme.

> If you want....but Flugel is a HORN, not a cornet and definately not a
> trumpet and should be approached as a Horn or it sounds terrible!!!!!!

No, wrong! The cornet is a horn. The flugel is a tuba (soprano tuba), just
as are the euphoniums (tenor tubas). It should be approached as a tuba, or
it sounds terrible. If there were 2 flugels in the band they could team up
with the 2 euphs to make another wonderful middle band section, in
contrast to the horns. More's the pity that there are no Eb alto flugels
to fill the gap.

> If you want to hear more than one flugel in a Brass band work......check
> out 'Dances and Arias' by Gregson.......TWO flugels are required for
> that work!!!!

Quite right too!

> > > Then, why not employ a 4th player to complete the trombone team?

> Many bands do!!!!!! (Just like a symphony orchestra would emplay a
> bumper 5th horn to strengthen a tiring first horn)

I'm not talking about adding another trombone just for the purpose of
helping out the lead player. I had more in mind the possibility of writing
4 part voicings with pure trombone tone.

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/