Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

At 11:29 PM 4/16/98 +0100, you wrote:
>On 16 Apr, "Reilly, Nick" <nick.reilly@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In many bands in North America and other parts of the world, a french
>> horn is considered an acceptable substitute for the Eb Tenor Horn.

Mostly by people that have never heard a real tenor horn player. Bands give
tenor horns to french horn players and in some cases (like in my band here)
don't even bother to use the right mouthpieces. They use their usual ones
with an adapter.

>Acceptable? The only advantage the tenor horn has over the french horn is
>agility

Are you serious. Listen to some top tenor horn players, they're different
instruments from french horns and both have advantages.

For the risk of
>getting flamed, I seriously think it's time that British bands went over
>to using french horns instead of tenors and baritones. Just think of the
>added colour and excitement that would create. And while I'm in my
>asbestos suit, why not dump 5 of the Bb cornets in favour of 4 trumpets
>and an extra flugelhorn. Then, why not employ a 4th player to complete the
>trombone team?

I think maybe you've got something there but what does it have to do with a
brass band. If you don't like tradition join something else !

Having written that as an offended tenor horn player I now need to ask some
advice about a different instrument. I'm get pretty frustrated here over
the summer as the band closes for a 4 month break and there are no other
bands in Denver. I've never seen any other outfit which uses a tenor horn
so I need to take up something else. I thought I'd try trombone so I was
hoping some of you trombonists might have some good advice with how to
start. Are there particularly good books or exercises that you could
recommend. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Rocky Mountain Brassworks.