Re: Where should the flugel sit?

Graham Young (905) 575-8440
Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
gyoung@xxxxxxxx

----------
> From: Martin Irwin <mirwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Where should the flugel sit?
> Date: April 20, 1998 9:10 AM
>
> I think the flugel should sit with the horns, never on the back row with
> the rep.  The horn section should I think be the other way round as well,
> i.e. flugel next to front row and 2nd horn next to 2nd baritone.  Some
> bands in the uk do this, but not many that I know of.
>
> Martin Irwin

I think it probably started when arrangers treated flug/rep
as a quasi interchangeable part. Especially when their music is
 printed on the same page.
Your suggestion makes the best sense.
The flugal sound would be better pointing out rather than being burried
in the cornets.
I see no reason not to switch seating depending upon the scoring
but that would probably be to radical.