Re: Seating Plan (Was: Where should the flugel sit?)

Mark Strykowski wrote:

I think the flugel should sit with the horns, never on the back row with
the rep.
<Depends on the piece being played, with older works the Flugel is
almost a 2nd Repiano part>

The horn section should I think be the other way round as well, i.e.
flugel next to front row and 2nd horn next to 2nd baritone.  Some bands
in the uk do this, but not many that I know of.

<I think this is pretty much the norm nowadays>

I've tried something a little different - with some mixed results.
I seat sop on the end and Solo Cnts on the second row and infront put
rep/2nd/3rds.

<With all due respect, Mark, I heard City of Holroyd at the Aussie
Nationals and I have to be honest, having the Solo cornets on the back
row severely affected their projection and clarity, particularly in
Isaiah 40>

Flugal is between Solo Hrn and 3rd Cnt. If the piece requires Flual to
work closely with Rep (ie Dances and Arias, Harmony Music) then I move
the rep in next to the flugal. 2nd Hrn sits next to 2nd Bari, then 1st
and then Euphos. Behind Euphos and Baris are Troms and Basses behind
horns.

	 X       X Eupho     Rep X   Sop X
   Troms X       X	       X       X
	  X       X Bari	X       X   Solo Cnts
	   X       X   Hrns    X       X
		     X  X  X  X Flug  X

		    X   X  X   X
		  Eb Bass    Bb Bass

<A seating system which has worked well for my band is this:

	    BBb	 X  X Euph   Solos X   X Sop
	Tubas  X  X	      X   X Rep
	     Eb	 X  X Bari	 X   X 2nds
	     Tubas   X  X   Hrns     X    X
			X  X  X  XFlug X 3rds
	 X  X  X	    X
			 B  2  1 Troms

This is designed so that all sections that work with one another are
seated in close proximity. This may not work for every piece, but
generally it suits our band well. We switched to standard seating for
the recent NZ Nationals, and the results speak for themselves :)

Cheers,
Adrian