Re: What tuba should I buy ??

emo@xxxxxx wrote:

> I am a female norwegian Eb tuba-player and has been so lucky that my ba=
nd
>       want to buy me a tuba..........!! Jippi ! So what should I
>       buy.........I'm playing in a english tradition so the tuba should=
 be
>       with top pistons and to the right hand side....I've always been
>       dreaming about Besson Sovereign Eb-tuba in silver, but lately I'v=
>       heard that both Wilson, and Courtois also have good Eb-tuba
>       models......If I chose Sovereign,should I buy the march or the
>       concert model ?? I think I should try out all these brands before=
>       deside.......It's a decision for life.....:-)
>
> I can spend around 3-4000 =A3............
>
> Thank you for any advice !!!!

Hi, Elisabeth.

I have recently been trying out the new Besson Sovereign "front action"
Eb tuba, and I have to say that it is a beauty. I'm not usually
enthusiastic about Besson instruments, but this is a good design, and
does not have the tuning problems that the old Sovereign design has.
Tradition isn't everything, so I would seriously recommend this horn. If
you must stick with the 3+1 valve setup, go straight to the Willson
2829TA but the Courtois is also well worth a look.

Cheers,
Adrian Raven
Principal Eb tuba
Dalewool Auckland Brass (NZ)