Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

> > If you want....but Flugel is a HORN, not a cornet and definately not a
> > trumpet and should be approached as a Horn or it sounds terrible!!!!!!
>
> No, wrong! The cornet is a horn. The flugel is a tuba (soprano tuba), just
> as are the euphoniums (tenor tubas).

Eh? how can a flugel belong to the tuba family? Forgive my ignorance please but
I am at a loss how this can be......

> It should be approached as a tuba, or
> it sounds terrible.

*confusion reigns supreme*

> If there were 2 flugels in the band they could team up
> with the 2 euphs to make another wonderful middle band section, in
> contrast to the horns.

Agreed there......

> More's the pity that there are no Eb alto flugels
> to fill the gap.

Mmmmm............

> > If you want to hear more than one flugel in a Brass band work......check
> > out 'Dances and Arias' by Gregson.......TWO flugels are required for
> > that work!!!!
>
> Quite right too!

> > Many bands do!!!!!! (Just like a symphony orchestra would emplay a
> > bumper 5th horn to strengthen a tiring first horn)
>
> I'm not talking about adding another trombone just for the purpose of
> helping out the lead player. I had more in mind the possibility of writing
> 4 part voicings with pure trombone tone.
>
> Adrian

Surely a baritone or sometimes flugel 'doubles' as the 4th trom.........To
write 4 parts would be OTT IMHO...........

Monkey