Seating Positions

Hello List,

When I was in Wales I played with a band that did not have a strong middle
section.  A problem I think that most 4th section bands may have.  The
arrangement of players we used for a few contest were -
front row cornets on the right hand side of the conductor.
back row cornets on the left hand side of the conductor.
sop on the immediate left hand side of the conductor slightly pointing into
the band - so he could play a little louder for the higher notes
behind the front cornets were the trombones.
behind the back row cornets were the Euphs and Baritone with solo euph on
the end.
In the middle of the band was the horns and behind them were the Basses.
This worked really well because the bells of the Euphs and Bari were
pointing towards the audience and you could actually hear the 2nd and 3rd
cornets.

Didn't win but it sound a lot better.

Paul Williams
(A Welsh Man living in England)