Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Dee & Paul Rothery wrote:

> I think maybe you've got something there but what does it have to do with a
> brass band. If you don't like tradition join something else !

	See my comments below.

> Having written that as an offended tenor horn player I now need to ask some
> advice about a different instrument. I'm get pretty frustrated here over
> the summer as the band closes for a 4 month break and there are no other
> bands in Denver. I've never seen any other outfit which uses a tenor horn
> so I need to take up something else. I thought I'd try trombone so I was
> hoping some of you trombonists might have some good advice with how to
> start. Are there particularly good books or exercises that you could
> recommend. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

	This is the essence of the "problem", here in North America with
French horns in [British-style] brass bands.  The Eb tenor horn is
practically a "dead" instrument in North America, at least in the school
band programs.  Consequently, there are no players or people who have Eb
tenor horns.  If one wants to start up or keep alive a [British-style]
brass band, what do you do?  You have to fill in the part somehow, and the
French horn is all we have.  It's either that, or no band at all.

	Same comments apply to cornets and trumpets, here in North
America.

	Just my opinion.