Re: protest

----------
> From: Peter Younghusband <monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: protest
> Date: 22 April 1998 00:53
>
> Ron Grice wrote:
>
> > Since when has one (1!!!) player on any instument brought into a
succesful
> > band won them the contest.
>
> 'Ere. ere.............is a band not a team?
>
> > The precedent of playing an overseas player  was
> > set here to my knowledge in Aus in the 1997 contest when a player from
G.B.
> > played in 2 bands in two different sections one conducted by a senior
assc.
> > official  Nothing was said or done (but they were not high profile
bands
> > !!).  Not only was the band concerned in this years (hands up in the
air
> > crying foul) a former winner,but has probably trebled the number of
wins
> > over any other. My thoughts go to the player concerned,a nicer, more
humble
> > person would be more difficult to find. With the official body being
unable
> > (or unwilling) in 1995/97 to enforce  the definition of one of the
sections
> > (we have t/oc/hymn/march) I find this latest debacle ridiculess.

 At the end of the day though Ron - rules are rules.....

O K Peter, but dont you think we should know under which rule the disq, was
under ,for instance if you registered with me now for next Easter but only
did a couple of rehearsals before the contest would we be disq,for playing
you,as you are so far away over there 5000 odd miles you may as well be in
another country "OOPS". I'd just like the position to be clarified by the
ruling body.

I almost forgot do we have a treaty with the U.K. so you can play on permit
and not registration(or is it like Spain with no extradition allowed).

> > The full facts must be disclosed so the banding community here can
decide
> > whether to keep spending the money to attend these seemingly endless
> > situations,a statement must be forthcoming from the organizers.
> >
> > Confucious says "a band of champions will never defeat a champion band
"

> Couldn't agree more! As said before - a good band is a good team, not
> necessarily a collection of superstars.....

.
BUT only as good as it's Bass Trom surely

Ron Grice.