Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

David W. Buckley wrote:

> > I think not <grrr>
>
> Any cornet or trumpet player with a proper foundation should be able to
> double on flugal. Saying you can't is just making excuses for a bad
> foundation. The technique of putting the air into an instrument is
> identical for a cornet, flugal or horn. Just put the air in properly and
> let the instrument do what it is designed to do. The more you have to
> change the way you blow, the more notes you will split and the less
> consistent you will be. Guaranteed!!

I don't think that is the issue......I am sure most decent cornet players could play
flugel, but there is the issue of what equipment and also style.  For example, I went
to a concert at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music last night.  Russel Gray was
performing with the QCM Brass Ensemble.  To try to emulate a Brass Band, the trumpet
players all played cornets.  They also all used bach 1C, 3C or other C mouthpieces.
They sounded ok but NOT like cornets.  They stuck with what they knew from playing
their Bach trumpets with Bach C cup mouthpieces and applied it to cornet and the
result was not that good!!!!  A similar sort of thing could happen with an ill
informed cornet player trying to go accross to flugel.

It's not about changing the way you blow but it is about what equipment (esp
mouthpiece) you use and also about how much you DON'T change your approach.......