Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

Adrian Drover wrote:

> On 21 Apr, Peter Younghusband <monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Eh? how can a flugel belong to the tuba family? Forgive my ignorance
> > please but I am at a loss how this can be......
>
> Because in bore size and sound, it is related to the euphonium, just as
> the cornet is related to the baritone horn, and trumpet is related to the
> trombone.

I think the point is that the trumpets and trombones are cylindrical and
the euphs/tubas are conical instruments. The cornets are half way in
between. What this relates to is the point in the instrument where the
bore starts to increase.

The cylindrical instruments don't have an increase in bore until about
2/3 down the tube, but the conical ones start at the mouthpiece.

This affects not just the sound, but also the air you put in. The more
conical the instrument, you will find you need faster, colder air and
have a lot more control over sound quality and dynamics. That's why
sounding good on a euph comes quicker than on a trombone, but trombones
can play wider dynamics.

It is very important to understand the *differences* in the breathing
between the two types of instruments if you are doubling, or you will
not exploit the sound of one or maybe both. I'm also told that with
conical instruments, the back of the throat needs to be much looser than
cylindrical ones.

Happy playing,

David

--