Re: Australian theme

----------
    David W. Buckley wrote

> Also the SA festival march "Southern Cross".
> Dave Buckley.

The reason for suggesting the March by Arthur Gullidge was that at the
outbreak of W.W.2Arthur was the bandmaster of I think the Brunswick S A
band in Melbourne and he and his band enlisted in the Aust army,  on route
to the near east the ship was sunk by the Japanese with the loss off the
whole band.He has written some beautifil arrangements and compositions for
the S A and also music for non S A bands another being the march "Blue
Blood"? a lot of his music would probably have been published by Allens
Music here in Aus.Another writer at the same time was Robert McAnnally who
was responsible for some tasteful Hymn arr.
The march "The Southern Cross" was composed by Brian Bowen and its
connection was it was written for a tour of Aus possibly by the I S B of
the S A. If you want to get into the big stuff try Robert Redheads
"Quintessence" which does feature Aus folk songs and was written for I
think the Melbourne Staff Bands visit to the U K  pub by S P S

I'd like to hear what the programme ended up being so an update near the
concert would be appreciated.

Ron Grice..

> Ron Grice wrote:
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Jan Kingman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Subject: Australian theme
> > > Date: 20 April 1998 05:49
> > >
> > > We are a Welsh band who are taking part in a concert with an
Australian
> > > theme.  Any ideas for brass band music apart from Waltzing Matilda
and
> > > Australian Fantasy by Gordon Langford which we already have.
> > >
> > There is music in the Just Music catalogue by Australian composer
George
> > Dreyfus ie "Rush",   the theme from a T V series of a few years ago.
What