Re: Oz National rules clarification please

Re: Recent Australian National Events:

Given all the posts about the recent disqualification at the Australian
Nationals, I wonder whether someone in the know could clarify the situation
regarding this disqualification, and "the rules" generally. The questions I
would like answered are:

1. What is the actual structure of the National Band Council of Australia?

2. How can a member of a band registered with one of the State bodies get a
copy of "the rules" for National contests?

3. Under which rule was the protest based? (Can we have the exact words
please.)

4. Are Australian bands allowed to register players from other countries,
especially the UK under any circumstances? Are there any requirements in
terms of how long the player is "resident" in Australia? (It was so much
more convenient when we were all residents of the British Empire!)

5. Is there a similar rule operating for any of the UK contesting
structures? I recall that the Newcastle (Australia) Steelworks Band won the
British Open Championships in 1928 - that was a whole band from another
country!

6. Are "the rules" ever reviewed? Is there some mechanism whereby ordinary
band members can suggest alterations if they feel "the rules" are
antiquated or unfair?

Thanks,

Phil Anderton

Philip Anderton			Phone: +61 2 9316 8301
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney, Australia

Web: http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/public/other/wcb.htm
Email: P.Anderton@xxxxxxxxxxx