Re: Where should the flugel sit?

Our band has a proliferation of horns (4 in all plus flugel) and so have
resorted to a 'three-layer' approach where our inner circle consists
purely of solo cornets (with the sop seated between these and the horns)
and horns with the flugel sitting opposite the principal cornet.  this
means that these two leading parts can communicate and that the flugel
can work well with the solo horn.
the rest of our line up has baris/euphs leading round from the back row
cornets and joining on to the troms with a third row of purely basses at
the back on their own (best place for them!!!)

just a suggestion,

Mik Barwick (Bletchington Silver Band).

>Graham Young (905) 575-8440
>Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
>Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
>gyoung@xxxxxxxx
>

>> Flugel players are a special breed of people (bit like the sop player) as
>> we are the only two players in the band who don't have someone else
>> playing the same instrument sat next to us.  So instead of giving them a
>> hard time - congratulate them for doing a great job (IMHO anyhow!!)
>

>> Heidi Worth
>We also can not really stop and let the person next to
>us cover the part either.
>There are a lot of pieces where I think the flugel should
>sit next to the Solo Horn. The sound of flugel with
>the horn section in four parts is a unique sound texture
>to the brass band.
>I wonder how many bands sit the flugel next to the horns
>and how many sit the flugel between the repiano
>and the second cornets?
>

>--

Sheldon Barwick