Re: alternative instrument for cornet players

here is my ideas on the band instrumentation thing.

I have advocated this for a while, but finatial constrains at the band make
trying it almost impossible but what do you all think?

here goes:

Why not ask the 2nd solo cornet  / rep player  or any other cornet  to double
Bb, Eb cornets / Flugel or piccalo Bb trumpet (which is technically a cornet
anyway due to the bore shape) etc.

This sort of thing happens in 10 piece and small ensenb. playing so why not
try it in the band.  The sop could also double on a piccalo.

This would give more scope and colour to the top end of the band.  You could
also ask the trombones to double Eb alto trombone if you realy wanted to!

I don't think this is too mad.  We ask our percussion sections to play any
number of instruments.  This would mean also that we still keep the older
established pieces in play, and new ones could be written to take in the newer
instrumentation.

I know i'm probably mad (& you will all cry  "need too much money to do this")
but lets see what you all think.

Also, I personally fine the Eb trumpet an easyer instrument than an Eb cornet.

Regards to all

John Davis

MD The Riddings Band
Sec Number 3 Area NABBC