Re: alternative instrument for cornet players

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Adrian J. Raven wrote:

> Makes a heap of sense to me.
>
> I have long held the belief that we need to be more flexible in our
> instrumentation.
> I'm not advocating massive change just for the sake of it,

> We don't need to replace any of the parts in the band, it's a tried and
> trusted formula, but if a composer/arranger wishes to add another sound
> to the existing ensemble, (eg. Piccolo Trumpet, Alto trombone, Eb
> Flugelhorn, Bass Trumpet, Contrabass trombone, etc.) for the purposes of
> music, then he/she should be allowed to do so. At the end of the day,
> music should be the prime consideration and if it doesn't suit the
> traditionalists, then so be it.
>
> Although we have seen a major increase in the sound colours available
> from a brass band, (thanks to Messrs. McCabe, Howarth, Wilby, etc.) I
> doubt that we have even scratched the surface of what is possible. It's
> time we gave composers a freer rein, before they, too are all dead.

That's all good and well, but let's not make the mistake of calling it a
brass band. Any composer is free to write what he or she wants, according
to their wishes. If someone wants to write for a brass band, let them
write for that set of instruments. If someone wants to write for a brass
choir, let them write for that as well. Just don't force the rest of us to
lose what uniqueness of sound we still desire to achieve.

NABBA has a forum for these bands to play; the Open section. Bands play the
Challenge section test piece (probably equivelant to a second or third section
piece) with whatever instrumentation they have. French horns, trumpets,
whatever; but they are kept seperate from the real brass bands. Perhaps
Royal Albert Hall can find a place for these groups as well; just don't
call them what they are not!

Regards,
Matt LaFontaine

The All Star Brass and Percussion Solo Euphonium
  NABBA XVI Honors Section Champions
  NABBA XVI Youth Solo Champion