Re: Australian theme

Ron Grice wrote:

> The reason for suggesting the March by Arthur Gullidge was that at the
> outbreak of W.W.2 Arthur was the bandmaster of I think the Brunswick S A
> band in Melbourne and he and his band enlisted in the Aust army,  on route
> to the near east the ship was sunk by the Japanese with the loss off the
> whole band.

Interesting to read your comments Ron. What you have said is almost
right. Arthur was bandmaster of Brunswick Band and he and most of his
band enlisted at the outbreak of WW2. The military authorities wanted
Arthur to be involved in the music section of the Australian Army but he
wouldn't have any of it as he was dedicated to his men. They were
eventually stationed in the Islands to the north of Australia and were
captured by the Japanese when the invasion came.

Arthur and the remaining members of his group were put on a prison ship
to be sent to Japan and the ship was torpedoed just off Rabboul and they
were all lost.
Needless to say he his fondly remembered by many in Australia within the
band movement.

Arthur is the only composer to have consecutive pieces numbered in the
Salvation Army General Series collection. He wrote an incredible
quantity of compositions ranging across a whole spectrun of music.
Some years ago the Melbourne Staff Band recorded a collection of his
works which was issued on a vinyl L.P. I still have the disk in my
collection.
His life story was published by the Salvation Army in a collection of
books on various Army people.

Hope all this helps....

Allen Woodham