Re: Back Row (was where should f. sit)

On 25 Apr, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, I wrote:

> > Why do so many bands place all of their younger and inexperienced
> > players on the 2nd and 3rd cornet parts?

> Because the parts are easier....

This is not always true. The back row are often allocated the notes below
the stave that are difficult to play in tune (D, C#, G, F#), not to mention
awkwardness of fingering and ability of good tone production. If you don't
have experienced players on these parts, the score is bound to sound
terrible.

> If you want to sell music, write it so bands can play it.

That's what rehearsals are for, or am I wrong? In any case, it has always
been my policy in the scores I write to avoid unnecessarily difficult
passages and choose the appropriate instrument for a particular line.

> If you put weaker players on the solo bench, you restrict the part
> (unless you divide it fequently, then you might as well put the players
> back to the back). And the players DO benefit from playing relativly
> easier parts.

They would benefit a lot more from sitting next to an experienced player
who could show them how to do it.

> If you want to arrange hard music, get a good band to play it.

Hmmm, what happened to the famous Brass Band spirit of a challenge?

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/