Pieces for piano & band (was Instrumental Straightjackets)

-----Original Message-----
From: Cameron Mabon <cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 April 1998 20:38
Subject: Re: Instrumental straightjackets (was alternative instrument for
cornet players

>Which concerto did Marple do? I have heard of an arrangement of the 18th
>Variation from Rachmaninoff's Pagannini Variations, and I think there is
>an arrangement for band of the famous Grieg Concerto in A minor. I once
>heard a rumour that a brass band composer had written a concerto
>specifically for piano and brass band (I can't remember who - probably
>someone like Denis Wright or Roy Newsome maybe?).

Edward Gregson has written a concertante for piano & band - it can be heard
on the 1989 Nationals Gala Concert CD.  I can also remember hearing a
performance of this piece, must be some twenty years ago, by Black Dyke,
with the composer at the piano, at Wembley Conference Centre.  Band and
piano were out of tune by about a full semitone, but (unfortunately) the
show must go on - and it was excruciating!!

Apart from that, the only other original works I know of are the Rhapsody
for Piano Duet and Band by Gordon Jacob (this is probably the one you're
thinking of) and a Concerto for Piano & Band by Mervyn Burtch.

Cheers

Alec